Nov 12, 2012

What the F is Cupping?!

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? 
OH MY GOD
ARGHHHHHHH
LOOK AT YOUR BACK!!!!! (Note, this is physically impossible!)
JESUS CHRIST.
ARE YOU CRAZY?


These are but some of the extraordinary reactions I received when I put up a picture of my back on Facebook and showed my friends and family. My back, which is covered in perfectly formed purpleish circles. This, my dear readers, is cupping




You can see it here on Gwyneth Paltrow's back and I'm sure a ton of celebs / 'normal' people have had it done.

It's a East Asian tradition (my mum used to have it done when she was ill as a youngster) and involves heating a small glass cup to get all the air out of it and then placing it on certain areas of your body to create a suction which pulls the blood up to the surface. This is to create better blood circulation and break down the lactic acid, to ultimately relax your muscles and relieve tension.

I found the whole process very enjoyable if a bit weird. My upper back is definitely more relaxed now and I can move my shoulders without feeling like they're laden with a ton of bricks.

My back did ache where the bruises are for 24 hours and I really hope they go by the time I hit the beach in Rio! I've enjoyed freaking people out with them, they do look very very bizarre - like crop circles on my body.

Special thanks has to go to my friend Clem who decorated these bad boys so well for the Diwali party we attended.



I recommend trying it and next time you see these weird circles, you'll know what they are!


S

No comments:

Post a Comment